Vacuum lines on Later Bs

To: "Ken.Strauss" <Ken.Strauss@pscmail.ps.net>
Subject: Vacuum lines on Later Bs
From: Tim Moses <moses@csra.net>
Date: Fri, 24 May 1996 16:32:52 -0600
Our running discussion about vacuum HOSES (big) and TUBES (small) refers to
MOSS catalog diagram/picture of Emission Controls.  Anyone with additional
info is STRONGLY encouraged to comment, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE...
                                                Thanks.   Tim Moses

At 02:17 PM 5/24/96 -0500, Ken Strauss wrote:
>>     Hose #57 in 1979-80 emmision Control picture  is the one which runs
>>     from the back side (toward firewall) of the Carb to the side pannel of
>>     the engine block.   On my carb, there's a connector just next to the
>>     throttle lever on the side facing the firewall.
>>
>>     There is another vacuum hose which runs from the intake manifold
>>     (in-front of) the carb, thru the Gulp Valve, up front to the Air-Pump

Tim Moses replied:

THen Ken wrote:
>     Got it now ....
>
>     The hose which runs from the {the Carb right next to the Air INtake
>     Manifold.} should (I hope, cause mine is) be connected to the EGR
>     valve.
>
>     The other hose (also small) which connects to the intake manifold (in
>     front of the carb) runs to the Vacuum advance on the Distributor (once
>     again this is on mine.
>
>     It might be a good idea to open this up as there's alwasy the strong
                                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>     possibility that our DPO's have hosed us up (pun intended).

Ken, I don't understand this comment ("open this up").  Do you mean to the
ListServe??  I assume you do and am sending this to the list.

>     My vacuum advance does appear to be working properly but, after close
>     examination of the pix it is really hard to see exactly where the
>     tubes are supposed to go.

>Tube (small hose) #2:  Is the tube which is pictured between the numbers 46
>& 56 and appears to go over the Valve cylinder......  Where does this go???
>If my B no longer has an Air Pump, what should I do with this tube.
>
>     This part of the drawing is particularly difficult.  It appears that
>     there are two small hoses running over the top of the valve cover.

Ken, I think that there are two spots (connections) coming off of the intake
manifold; one foreward and one aft of the carb.

>My B only has one (line).

So does mine, but I'll bet there are SUPPOSED to be 2.

>Which as described above runs to the Vac advance.

                I think one does and the other is SUPPOSED to go to the Air
Pump.

>     Maybe someone out on the lists has an accurate drawing / map.

                Well, how about it.... Anyone, Bueler, Bueler.....

TTFN !
Tim Moses, Esq.                                  http://www.csra.net/moses
   U.S. Naval Academy `86                http://www.csra.net/moses/86.htm
Live from Augusta, Georgia      -      We're a Hole in One !