Re: towing

To: gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu
Subject: Re: towing
From: BarneyMG@aol.com
Date: Wed, 29 May 1996 03:41:47 -0400
In a message dated 96-05-28 16:42:49 EDT, Ray Gibbons wrote:

>I expect the electronic controllers can work fine for many people, if one
>or all of the following conditions apply:  1) they set the trailer brakes
>light enough that they help, but the tow vehicle still does most of the
>stopping and the trailer does not have much impact on the deceleration; or
>2) their trailer has only 2 wheel brakes that can't do much more than
>assist in stopping no matter how the controller is set; or 3) their tow
>vehicle is so much heavier than the trailer that the trailer doesn't
>constitute a big additional load.
>
>I prefer to have the trailer brakes do virtually all of the work of
>stopping the trailer.  The hydraulic Kelsey-Hayes system lets you modulate
>both the truck and trailer brakes by your pressure on the brake pedal,
>with independent adjustment of the proportion of braking power provided by
>the trailer.  Try one, Chip, you don't know what you are missing.
>
>Ray

My response to item 1:
     No can do!  For safety's sake, at highway speeds you have to set the
trailer brakes at nearly max force short of skidding the tires.  That's the
only way to stop quickly in an emergency.  Just imagine a LBC hits the brakes
in front of you when your trailer brakes are limited to half force.

To item 2:
     Not a good arrangement for the same reason as item 1.  If one axel has
no brakes, your stopping distance will be increased substantially.  (Poor
LBC).

To item 3:
     The whole reason for having good trailer brakes is so you don't have to
have a monster tow vehicle.  Everything I ever towed on my trailer made it
heavier than the tow vehicle.

To the last item (not numbered):
     I agree.  For normal casual braking I also prefer that the trailer
brakes do most of the work of stopping not just the trailer, but the whole
rig.  A light touch on the brake pedal applies the trailer brakes full on
with very little brake force on the tow vehicle.  The trailer drags down the
tow vehicle speed very nicely, similar to half force braking in a car, and
always straight as an arrow.  The tow vehicle brakes and the trailer brakes
do have independent modulation.  You modulate the tow vehicle brakes with
your foot, and the trailer brakes with the electronic controller.

The electric brakes are a bit different to use than straight hydraulics, but
the controls are  extremely versatile and very easy to get used to.  After
just a little usage, I gained full confidence in the ability to control the
brakes at speed.  I was very comfortable cruising in traffic, and that LBC in
front of me had nothing to worry about.

Barney