Trailer Brakes

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Trailer Brakes
From: kolansky@apache.ENET.dec.com
Date: Thu, 30 May 96 08:28:34 EDT
Most new cars / trucks with ABS brakes do not approve of using a plumbed
brake controller.  Their concern is the extra brake fluid required to
actuate the controller, which comes from just one of the two hydraulic
lines and therefore unbalances the dual master cylinder.

I have towed a 30' camper (7500 lbs) with both a plumbed controller
and a pendulum electronic controller.  There is no question, I prefer
the plumbed version.  All I have to do is to get GMC to redesign their
braking system to properly handle one.

BTW the controllers must connect directly to the battery since a tandem
axle trailer can draw up to 13 amps.  The stop light circuit cannot
provide that without blowing a fuse (and then you stop by dragging your
feet).  The controllers have a lead that connect to your brake lights
so that you don't provide braking power if the stop lights are not on,
and if you manually energize the trailer brakes, it turns the stop
lights on.  The direct connection to the battery may have a automatic
resetting circuit breaker, but not a fuse.