Re: MG 1100

To: thorpe@kegs.saic.com
Subject: Re: MG 1100
From: DamitDick@gnn.com (Damit Dick)
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 1996 22:18:58

>Scott C. Williams asked:
>
>> Are there any MG 1100 owners on this list? I have an early 1963
>>example, that is awaiting a complete restoration, as well as two
>>Austin Americas in various states of repair.
>
>> I'm very interested in the BMC FWD cars, so let me know if you
>>share my interests.
>

>Dave( the matchmaker) said:
>
>> Scott,
>
>> Scott meet Denise, Denise say hello to Scott. OK, off you go.
>
>Hello.  Since we've now been properly introduced, I can tell you
>that I own three MG 1100's--two '63's and a '65.  All of them ran
>and were registered a few years ago, but two of them are now
>sitting on flat tires.
>
>There's this phantom organisation named SPAM that I may find time
>to tell you about although I haven't found the time to do anything
>about SPAM or even work on my 1100's.
>

>Jack Baker said:
>
>> I have a friend who made his 1100 into a flower pot. It looks
>>nice in his back yard and the Morning Glory gives it a flow it
>>failed to have previously.
>
>Grrr...

Now you've gone and done it Jack!

>Mike Maunders said:
>
>> Hi from England
>
>> I have a mark 2 MG1300 (1971)... just restored... virtually the
>> only original part is the roof!!! However major body panels are
>> very difficult to find on this side of the 'pond' - so how do
>> you manage over there ???
>
>> Not many 1100/1300 variants exist in the UK due to the severe
>> 'rust worm' problems - inherrant with most BL cars!!!
>> There can't be many left in the States either - can there ?
>
>Tons and tons.  Even the ones I've seen in wrecking yards
>(breakers) are rust-free.  The only rusty one I've seen had rusted
>through floors from being left outside with no back window.  So
>does this mean that my 1100's are worth money over there?  I know
>people who ship cars to Europe.  If I bought up every 1100 in
>Southern California and shipped them over, could I make an obscene
>profit?  Only the British and Japanese seem to have the taste and
>discernment to appreciate these fine cars.
>
>> Have you heard of the '1100 Club' in the UK ? If not I'll send
>> you details later.
>
>Please do!  I had the address on a tiny post-it note, but have
>probably lost it by now.

Just to add to this thread...

Denise did you see the add in the LA Times Sunday the 2nd? If not
I'll repeat it here. Remember I have no knowledge or financial
intetrest etc., etc.

        '66 MG Vanden Plas Princess
        Beautifully restored to perfection.
        Rare mini RR LHD $32K/obo (MGprncs)
        (310) 275-1055

Now who says they are not appreciated???

Dick :>)
Vintage Parts & Products
Camarillo, California
Have MG will travel