Re:Batteries on concrete

To: "MG" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re:Batteries on concrete
From: "J. Knight" <taoistjd@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 96 10:28:30 -0400
> Speaking of flat, was there ever a conclusion to the on-concrete vs
> in-the-car battery experiment?
I'm new to the mgs list and don't know about previous discussion on the
subject but...
The word from AC Delco and Excide is that the concern about modern
plastic case batteries being drained from being on concrete is just a
mith.  It has carried over from the days when batteries were made with
wood and pitch cases.  This would cause cracking due to expansion and
contraction as well as condensation problems.
Where I used to work we stored all of our batteries on the concrete.
Delco batteries would still have a 15.8 volt charge after 8 months.

John Knight
'73 MGB (undergoing restoration)
"working on Brit cars is ALMOST as much fun as driving"