Re: Horn - a mind of it's own ?

To: Garry_Hill/estec/ESAdev*ESADEV@estbcnotes1.estec.esa.nl
Subject: Re: Horn - a mind of it's own ?
From: BarneyMG@aol.com
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 04:45:43 -0400
Gary,

>my B must have picked up my vibes (faaaar out !) because it started
sounding......pip,,,pip...peep..PEEEEEEEP !

>How embarrassing, it just kept on and on and on. It stopped eventually when
I opened the bonnet (hood) and disconnected them.Does anyone have any ideas
as to why this happened - could it be a short in the wiring loom, the switch
?

Yup!  Some idea.  Power comes from battery via fuse box to the horns.
 Another wire from the horns goes back to the horn press button which grounds
it to complete the circuit.  A short to ground anywhere between the horn and
the button will cause it to blow forever.

For debugging, start at the horn.  Using a volt meter or test light, find the
supply wire with 12 volts, disregard that wire and turn your attention to the
other one.  You can use an ohm meter to test this wire for zero ohms to
ground.  You can also use a test light taking power from the battery.  If you
touch the light to anything grounded it will light up.

Test the return wire for ground.  If it is grounded, follow that wire back
through the wiring harness to the next connector, pull the connector apart
and test both sides.  the side that shows ground is the way to go.  Continue
following the wire from connector to connector until you isolate the section
with the short.  If you can't find where that wire is shorted, put in another
piece of wire to bypass the bad section.

Chances are pretty good that the wire is shorted in the steering column.
 Check places where the cable passes through any clamp, makes any tight bend,
or encounters a moving part such as the turnsignal switch or steering wheel.

Hope this helps.  Let me know what you find.

Barney Gaylord -- 1958 MGA
Naperville, Illinois