MGB OIL PRESSURE variation

Subject: MGB OIL PRESSURE variation
From: swilliams@media-net.net (Williams Scott)
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 1996 18:48:10

In my many years of driving MGBs daily, I have often seen this violent
fluctuation of oil pressure, an all my engines have been stock oil pumps.
I assumed that this was some kind of normal thing for an engine basically
designed before WWII.

I'd like to ask people what their oil pressure is on a hot idle after
leaving the highway, etc. Most all the engines I've driven maintain no lower
than 45-50. But I have one without too many miles on it that goes to 20lbs
hot. It was that way after rebuild, I replaced the bearings and it was the
same. Any ideas? P.S. This motor is actually in an Austin Marina with
Borg/Warner 35. But its still an MGB motor.

Oh yeah, I get about 18mpg city, 30-34 highway in my 74 MGB/GT with
overdrive and cruise control.

Scott C. Williams