RPM's,Trans and Other Stuff

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RPM's,Trans and Other Stuff
From: James Brucato <Gone4sure@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 04:34:47 GMT
Hey There Mg'ers

     Anyone have any comments on max sustained RPM's for a none overdrive
MGB's trying to keep up with Hwy traffic?

     Standard operating temps for a normal hot summer day?

     Does anyone know if you can put a 3 main imput shaft from a non OD
tranny into a 5 main OD tranny to convert a 67 OD to fit a 64 "B"? Do you
have to change the driveshafts too?

     What is the going price for an early "B" overdrive? (if I could find one)

     While some of these questions may sound silly, I just wanted other
peoples ideas about them. Owning my 64 lbc for 5 years, and trying to buy it
from my friend for 10 years, this poor lbc has run at high temps more than I
care to admit,had the bonnet wrapped around the windscreen a few times and
then replaced,the doors flying open on hard turns as all pull handle "B's"
seem to been famous for, all before I gave it a caring home.(still working
on the doors)  My friend always had quick fixes for the problems it had
before I purchased it. like if the front end shakes-"Drive Faster he would
tell me! It'll calm down", I rebuilt the front end, no more shakes. Or if it
ran hot-"Stop for a soda and let it cool down", I flushed the system out and
had the block baked clean in a machine shop.

     When putting the engine back together, Would you use permatex to seal
those leaky gaskets all old cars seem to get. Trying to fend off those
annoying leaks my little "B" seemed to always have since I bought it.

     Is it wrong to use later model parts to keep my nice weather driver
operational? Like later seats, rostyle rims, a nice radio when I'm not
shifting but on a long drive?

     My car is far from original, and it's not a show car, but I do love
driving it! As I will test this love in a few weeks driving to INDY 95. Are
there alot of daily or sunny day drivers that will be taking their owners to
Indy this month?

Thanks in advance for any and all answers

Jim B
64"B" going to INDY
72"B" sleeping, awaiting rebirth
______________________________________sooner or later, I'll fill This line too!!