Re: RPM's,Trans and Other Stuff

To: Gone4sure@worldnet.att.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: RPM's,Trans and Other Stuff
From: "Milo Kral" <kral@anvil.nrl.navy.mil>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 96 08:01:59 EDT
HI
I think we have a lot in comon with our cars.  Mine is a '67 MGB with a '64
engine,  and an early overdrive.  Before I converted to OD,  I drove mine MGB
from Nashville to West Palm Beach FL and back.  The car did great running at
3500-4000 RPM all 2000+ miles.  I can tell you for a fact that having the OD
would have made the trip less tiring from a noise aspect.

My car runs between 170 -190 regardless of the outside temp.

I think you can do your OD conversion by changing the input shaft bushing,  but
I'm not sure.*  You definitely have to change the driveshaft.  The rear tranny
support will be moved back,  but there are already tapped bolt holes to
accomodate.  To be close to original,  you need a dash switch,  relay, vacuum
switch, port for the intake manifold,  vacuum hose and wiring harness.  I
recommend having the transmission and OD rebuilt before installing.  Keep in
mind that it's not trivial to join the OD unit with the tranny -  I had to have
mine done.

I wouldn't use gasket sealant unless the manual specifies.  The gaskets are
designed to prevent leaks by themselves.  You may cause disassembly problems
later on down the road if you use the stuff to liberally.

You can find used OD tranny's.  The internet,  a big car show or Hemmings are
good places to look.

Good Luck

Milo