Re: anyone have impossible to remove grease cups inside front

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: anyone have impossible to remove grease cups inside front
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 07 Jun 1996 09:22:46 -0500
>     I was planning on renewing the lower A-arm bushings today, but I didn't
>get as far as getting the hubs off.  The grease retaining cups immediately
>inside the front hubs of my 1968 MGB are stuck.  I have tried amazing amounts
>of leverage against nuts that I threaded onto the bolt that protrudes from the
>cup to no avail.
>     Anyone have this problem?  Short of attaching a stinger missile to the
>bolt and letting to loose, I can't see how to remove them.  Maybe a couple of
>draft horses, one pulling on each hub at the same time?  :)

Every MG owner should have a slide hammer.  Useful for grease cup and
pulling rear axles.  You can get 'em from the cheapie Chinese tool
outfits like Harbor Freight or JC Whitney.  I got mine for $11 from
Big Lots.  A little ingenuity is required to cobble up an adaptor to
whatever it is that you want to pull, but in many cases it's the only
way.  The last time I used mine it was to remove the front cam bearing
shell pressed into an XPAG block.
                        A. B. Bonds