Re: anyone have impossible to remove grease cups inside front hubs?

To: dedwards@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
Subject: Re: anyone have impossible to remove grease cups inside front hubs?
From: Ragthyme@aol.com
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 11:29:47 -0400
Um...Benjy:

What sort of nut protrudes through the grease cap? I'm not entirely sure what
you're talking about here. I'm pretty familiar with the front suspension
elements, having just  done this job recently. The grease cap over the
bearings should just sort of pop off.

D'you have wire wheels or bolt-ons?

There should be a threaded bolt-looking thing under the bearing grease cap;
this is the end of your spindle. The retaining nut on the end of this has a
sort of split pin through it  ... is this what you're talking about?  I'd
love to help, but I need a little more information.

After you pull the rim, there should be a hub assembly underneath, with the
grease cup on the end (which, as I say, should just sort of pop off with a
 little leverage from a screwdriver). Inside the hub, there's the outer
bearing race, the end of the spindle with the aforementioned nut, a spacing
washer, the outer bearings, then a couple of shims, the inner bearing spacer,
inner bearings and oil seal, and then you're down to the spindle itself. The
hub should slide off of this easily after removing the retaining nuts.

Perhaps you're actually missing the grease cup? You've got me curious now.

Corey
75 MGB 'Rags'