Re: The Prince of inadequate lighting has found me!

To: <mgs%autox.team.net@MV.Unisys.COM>
Subject: Re: The Prince of inadequate lighting has found me!
From: TUSLER%MP050@MPA15AB.MV.UNISYS.COM
Date: 13 JUN 96 09:24
  Well, it looks like a case of MSFS (Multiple Simultaneous Failure Syndrome).
Putting a Voltmeter across the battery and pulling the starter showed a
drop from 12.5v to 0.48v.  Chucking the battery and getting a new one
produced a marked improvement in the ability of the starter to crank, but
I had to yank the ground off the battery, because I still can't switch off
the ignition!  In fact, the switch now has the ability to go well beyond
the 'off' position, implying a general deterioration of switch integrity.
Maybe I'll just install that master cutoff, and consider the ignition
switch as yet another theft deterrent.
  Once again, thanks to the list for the suggestions, especially the one
to check for the voltage drop.  I'm surprised that the voltage was able
to reach 12.5 if there was an internal short.  I'm sure the amperage was
low, but with a cell shorted or dead, I'd think steady-state voltage
would go to 10v or less.  I'm just glad it didn't decide to explode...

*Philippe Tusler - Mission Viejo, CA     | "MILOU"    '57 MGA Roadster *
*A-Mail:   <TUSLER@MP050>                | "TINTIN"   '66 MG/MGB-GT    *
*InterNet: TUSLER@MP050.MV.unisys.com    | "N/A"      '88 ISUZU Trooper*