Re: MG T Series Handling

To: Michael.Lytton@sierra.com
Subject: Re: MG T Series Handling
From: arm@unix.infoserve.net (Ross MacPherson)
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 18:13:18 -0700
>     How well do the MG T Series cars handle?  As far as LBC's go, I've
>     only driven MGB's.  Are MGT's reasonably quick in the turns?
>
>     Just curious, I'm definitely not* trying to start a flame war.

Greetings Michael,

All the responses I've seen to your query so far have been from TD owners.
They have more in common with you B owners than they do with us TC types,
them having rack and pinion steering and great wide, low profile tires .

The TC has Pitman arm steering, 19 x 4.5 tires and is at best a handful.
When I first bought my TC it very nearly scared me to death every time I hit
a small bump in the road at any kind of speed.  It would LEAP in any
direction it choose with absolutely no warning. Cornering was good but
erratic with dreadful oversteer at anything over 30 MPH.  Having had at
least one MG for the previous twenty years I was a little disappointed in
the handling of the first T series I'd ever driven.  While pouring over my
bible, "TC'S FOREVER" by Michael Sherrel, trying to find a way to improve
the steering, I came across a passage that warned the owner to be very
careful when installing the front axle because it can be installed
BACKWARDS!  I dropped the book and ran out to check and, sure enough, my
axle was in the wrong way round which meant all the steering geometry was
completely opposite to what it should have been.  I removed the axle,
rebushed dampers, springs and king pins and installed new wheel bearings,
painted, lubed, reinstalled (the right way round!) and performed a driveway
wheel alignment.  Now, with the correct steering geometry it's only slightly
terrifying going round a corner. It's not very fast but it sticks to a line
like it's on rails.

Driving a TC at speed is not for the weak of heart, but it's an experience
like no other.

Cheers,
   ___        \______           Ross MacPherson
  / __ \ __ /       /------|)   arm@unix.infoserve.net
/  (___)---------/ (___)        Vancouver, Canada
 1947 MG-TC 3528                1966 MGB-GT (running, but not ready....)