Re:MG T Series Handling

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:MG T Series Handling
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 14 Jun 1996 10:05:39 -0500
In <9606131957.AA3769@lnusde.delcoelect.com>, Robert J Donahue/DELCO wrote:
>>     How well do the MG T Series cars handle?  As far as LBC's go, I've
>>     only driven MGB's.  Are MGT's reasonably quick in the turns?
>>

>I'm impressed with my TD's handling, of course it has sloooow
>acceleration and the top end is severly limited by the high
>gear ratio of the rear end. It is definitely not a car for
>someone who likes to drive fast.

...Except at slow speeds.  TDs and TFs go around corners much better
than one would expect from their appearances.  They are pretty
competitive with real traffic (=low-end Japanese econoboxes) up to
about 40 mph.  After that....well....(Yawn).

>The TD and TF have independent front suspention and rack and
>pinion steering. I see in one catalog, you can even get anti-
>sway bars. Modern radial ply tire can be put on, and they make
>a big difference.

If the suspension on a T has not been rebuilt from new, it should be,
even if it is a low-mileage car.  The bushings rot and the grease
hardens.  Shocks get funky.  For a couple of hundred bucks for a
suspension rebuild (depending on condition) handling can improve
dramatically.  Radials also help a lot.  When properly set up, the
steering is a delight, and when you figure out what the fly-off
emergency brake is _really_ for, you got lots-o-fun.

                        A. B. Bonds