Re: oil consumption & PCV

To: Ernest Gilbert <barrister@lawref.com>
Subject: Re: oil consumption & PCV
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 17:54:37 -0700 (PDT)
Ernest,
I'm no expert on this, but I think that if your engine is old and worn,
i.e. lots of blowby causing high pressure in the crankcase, oil will be
pushed out the venting mechanism of the engine.
If this is the cause, switching your venting mechanism won't help, you'll
just get oil-filled air cleaners.

Ulix

On Mon, 17 Jun 1996, Ernest Gilbert wrote:

> To anyone on the list besides myself that has an interest in my continuing
>saga of oil consumption. You will recall that the fresh engine in my '67 BGT
>was using about 1 qt per 500 miles, and that the only visible evidence of
>where it was going was exhaust smoke after idling at a stop light. Then when I
>blew a head gasket I found no valve seals in the head.  Thought I had fixed it
>then.
>
> Well . . . it never really stoped smoking and yesterday the smoke got so bad
>the car could not be driven without fear of green stamps from Broderick.
>
> I disconnected the NEW PCV and plugged the manifold. No more smoke. Opened
>the PCV and its full of oil. Also discovered oil filler cap not fully secured
>but its a vented cap.
>
> Now the questions.
>
> I understand the PCV to be functioning properly if it opens and supplies
>vacuume to the sump only at higher rpm's, and improperly if it leaks at lower
>rpm's. It would therefore seem that if the oil is getting up the 12 inches or
>so of hose to the PCV when it is bad, it also will when it is good. Is this
>true? Do all engines equiped with PCV's burn some oil at higher rpm's?
>
> Secondly, the Moss catalogue says that the 18GH engines were equiped with
>only a Y connector which fed the sump vent into both air cleaners, and not a
>PCV into the intake mainfold. That I think would cover the '67 and make a PCV
>unnecessary. Is this true?
>
> Currently my engine uses 2 rear A style air filters, the flat ones with a
>screen around the perimeter and no tube for the vent hose. I propose to
>replace these with 2 front A style filters with vent tubes and go to the Y
>connector. Can I be this lucky and legal too?
>
> Ernest
> barrister@lawref.com

                    '67 Sprite             '66 Caddy