Re: Lights out!!

To: jurrasm@genesis.torrco.com, mgs@autox.team.net, jtilton@vt.edu
Subject: Re: Lights out!!
From: RJohn50603@aol.com
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 20:52:47 -0400
In a message dated 96-06-16 02:19:08 EDT, jurrasm@genesis.torrco.com (Mark
Jurras) writes:

>Sorry to burst everyone's bubble but it is not good Lucas bulb design
>but poor Lucas electrical design that keep you bulb burning. Bulbs are
>designed to have a certain life at a certain wattage. The wattage of
>the bulb is obtained by applying the correct voltage to the bulb.
>
>Let's look at an example I am familiar with. A certain 12V 100W quartz
>halogen projector bulb life is rated at 25 hours. Not to long. But if
>the voltage is reduced, the life goes up exponentially. Running this
>bulb at 8 volts the calculated life is >20,000 hours.
>
>Now with all the Lucas connectors and grounds that corrode the full 12V
>never gets to the head lights thus extending the life dramatically.
>
>- -Mark "My bulbs last longer than my connections" Jurras

Jurras,

Never the less, I am still very pleased with my original 25 year old and
functioning Lucas headlights as well as the 25 year old MGB that carries
them.

These cars turn many heads of all ages at the stop lights. They are
anachronisms which are quaint and endearing. They cause total strangers to
roll down the window and strike up a conversation. Pull up to that light in
your 300 ZX or your 3000 GT, etc. and some of those same people would rather
flip you off. The idiosyncrasies are assets not liabilities.

If you're unto MG's, you have got to buy the whole package...

R. Johnson - Dallas

'73 MGB
'76 Midget
'79 Midget