Re: Daily Driver Questions

To: tom.wagner@central.sun.com
Subject: Re: Daily Driver Questions
From: Ragthyme@aol.com
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 01:26:38 -0400
Back before I started tearing Rags apart for the sheer joy of it, I used her
as a daily driver. She's a 75B, but has points ignition.

A few things I took precautions on as a daily driver:

1) Carry an extra set of points and a condenser in your toolbox. Oh, and be
certain to carry a toolbox.

2) Did I mention carrying a toolbox? Mine includes (amongst other things) the
aforementioned distributor parts, a spoke wrench, two each of phillips head
and standard screwdrivers (different sizes, of course), two box-end spanners
(1/2 and 7/16) which seem capable of dismantling nearly every major component
on Rags (God bless British standardisation!), several small rags, a few of
the more odd-sized screws from under the bonnet, a couple of hose clamps and
an emergency thingie I found for patching blown hoses, some duct tape and a
short length of wire, a set of 'alligator' clips, a  couple of small bulbs,
and a nifty collapsible funnel I found in some out of the way place.

3) I also carry a quart (at least) of oil, brake fluid on long trips (I
suppose I can do away with that, but you never know) and a bit of antifreeze.

4) Never leave  home without your cel-phone and AAA card. Most useful. I
found the cel-phone to be essential for letting my boss know where I was
stranded, calling my wife to pick me up, letting appointments know I might be
a tad late, and of course, flagging down the odd  tow truck.

The very best thing you can do, of course, is give the car proper
maintenance. Those  little unexpected things come up from time to time,
though, and it's best to be prepared. I rarely had an instance in a  year and
a half of daily driving (as a real estate agent, no less) where I was
completely stranded. The points came in handy more than once, though, and the
wire, electrical tape, and clips were essential on one occasion at least.

You're driving an old car. Expect the occasional breakdown, but with proper
maintenance, and a few precautions, you should be fine.

Cheers,

Corey
75 MGB 'Rags'