Re: Daily Driver Questions

To: mgs@autox.team.net (mgs)
Subject: Re: Daily Driver Questions
From: todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil (Todd Mullins)
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 09:17:04 -0500 (CDT)
Ragthyme@aol.com writes:

[ a bunch of good stuff to carry on a daily driver: ]

> 1) Carry an extra set of points and a condenser in your toolbox.

A cracked distributor cap can stop you dead cold; I suggest carrying a
spare (though I hear old pencil holders will work in a pinch...).

> [ ... ]  two each of phillips head
> and standard screwdrivers (different sizes, of course)

I really, really love those 4-in-1 screwdrivers available at your local
hardware store.  Compact and convenient.

> two box-end spanners
> (1/2 and 7/16) which seem capable of dismantling nearly every major component
> on Rags (God bless British standardisation!)

Well, I can think of a few items that are 9/16, or 1/4.  I carry a full
set of spanners.

A few items I'd like to add:  A roll of 12ga wire and electrical tape
(crimp connectors are nice, but twist-n-tape will work in a pinch), an
old spark plug or two (cleaned and gapped), a spark plug wrench or
socket (most have hex heads that will take a 7/8 spanner), fan belt, any
pertinent carb bits (Z/S diaphragms come to mind; I have a couple of
rebuild kits [including floats] for my HIF4s).  At the suggestion of a
fellow list member a few days ago, I have included a heavy-duty SPST
switch.

Tourer owners, don't forget sunscreen and sunglasses.

> You're driving an old car. Expect the occasional breakdown, but with proper
> maintenance, and a few precautions, you should be fine.

Well said.  The little buggers really are simple, and easy to fix if
something does go wrong.  I drive the piss out of mine.

--

Todd Mullins
Todd.Mullins@nrlssc.navy.mil    On the lovely Mississippi (USA) Coast

'74 MGB Tourer