RE: Tach Help

To: tom.wagner@Central.Sun.COM (Tom Wagner - Program Manager)
Subject: RE: Tach Help
From: Ernest Gilbert <barrister@lawref.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 96 13:00:55 -0700
Tom -

If the engine runs and shuts off with the key the white wire is ok. The white
wire is the only source of current for spark. Again, if you touch your probe to
the metal clip on the back of the tach you are not touching the white wire.
There is no connection between the white wire and the metal clip except a small
magnetic field caused by the loop in the white wire. If you were to puncture
the white wire with your probe at the back of the tach you will get the same
signal as you get at the coil.

Don't know what the sensitivity of the tach is but I would not chance testing
it with a current source. Could blow it out easily.

I recommend you take or send it to a speedometer shop to test and repair. These
speciality shops usually do pretty good work and are less costly than new.

Luck
Ernest