Hardtop Restoration

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Hardtop Restoration
From: mgguyc100@ra.isisnet.com (Williams/MG Guy)
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 17:31:35 -0300 (ADT)
Greetings those who are not Indy bound! (sniff) I'm one of those too...

Using my week off to be most productive. Have created an interesting hardtop
storage device using a small block & tackle, four large 'S' hooks and some
nylon rope. The 'S' hooks nicely grab the hartop just beside the front
latches, and at the extreme rear corners. The nylon rope connects the four
points (with some experimentation (nay, research & development...yeah,
that's the ticket, Research & Development) to achieve level. Now the hardtop
dangles securely ovehead in the garage, and is a good deal safer than left
leaning up against the wall! I remember seeing something like this for
Corvette hardtops. Total cost (including R&D) - 35 bucks. (Canadian yet!)

SPEAKING of hardtops...does anyone know of a source for the sealing rubber
under the quarterlights? This would be where it joins the body. Also, chrome
latches. Mine are quite corroded, to the point where the chrome is peeling off.

The inside of the hartop looks to have been painted white, but the years
have caused this finish to begin flaking. I was planning on cleaning it up,
and applying a coat of white latex interior house paint. Comments?

I've been checking to see which suppliers (if any) stock hardtop restoration
bits - and with the exception of a couple of header seals at Vic Brit -
that's about all I've been able to find. Any other sources?

Thanks in advance for any replys/responses.

Terry
'79 BGT
'68 roadster