Re: Free tire-balancing advice

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Free tire-balancing advice
From: taylorts@syr.ge.com
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 96 15:43:45 EDT

> > One question though: do the weights go to the outside or inside, or 50%
> > to both? All my wheels have their weights on the inside and this
> > seems odd.
>
> Back when I worked on Porsche's, we put the weights on the inside for
> the sake of appearance, and this works, but most of the weight of the
> wheel is toward the outside, so this is really where the weights should
> go.  Besides, if you put them on the inside, you'd have to unmount the
> wheel every time you wanted to add or change one.  Another trick is to
> not bash the weight on all the way until you're sure it's the right one
> and in the right spot.

IF you have aluminum wheels here in the Northeast you should put the
weights on the inside because the weight will rust the aluminum, well
if you get aluminum weights the weight doesn't rust the wheel but the
metal band that holds the weight on does.  I've had my weights on all
my cars put on the inside because of this.  The guy doing it looks at you
funny but this can be done with no problem, helps when you live in an area
that uses alot of salt....Todd

1958 100-6
1980 MGB LE