Re: Desparate to "FINISH"

To: mgs@autox.team.net, MGBCHRIS@aol.com
Subject: Re: Desparate to "FINISH"
From: SCHLINING.M.W-@smtpgty.bwi.wec.com (SCHLINING.M.W-)
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 1996 15:37:28 -0400
     Funny you should ask.  I just got through a DIY sprucing up of my 75
     MGB.  My wife and I both though it would be nice to improve the looks
     of the B for Indy (next week).  So back in March we started and this
     Tuesday we finished.  It was bigger than we thought.  But I did learn
     alot in the process, so I will pass it on to you.

     1.  I did all the body work myself.  I'm not bragging, because it only
     had very minor dings.  I did not use my air tools (or compressor) for
     this part.  Electric drill with a sanding disk is perfect for cutting
     through the paint to bare metal.  Use either a hammer & dolly or a
     dent puller to remove as much of the dent as possible.  Fill with your
     favorite body putty.  Hand sand with a sanding block or the Bondo
     flexible sander (I believe its 10") from Pep Boys, using long diagonal
     strokes (kind-of like a fishbone pattern.

     2.  Painting is costly.  I painted mine 4 times (three of which were
     screw-ups, all for different reasons), the final being a clear coat
     polyurethane.  Clear coat covers up many sins and makes is look great.
      But let me give you the cost of the raw material to do the job
                1Gal of Acrylic Enamel with hardner and thinner - $135
                1Qt mix of Polyurethane clear coat(actually 2 Qt) - $50
     As a rule of thumb, It takes 1qt of the mixed paint to put one wet
     coat on the outside of an MGB.

     Your BEST alternative is to prep the car as much as you can - body
     work, hardware removal and surface sanding.  Use spray can of primer
     to cover any bare metal.  Remember primer is not completely
     waterproof.  Mask anything you don't want painted and take the car
     (even by a Flat Bed) to Maaco and get the best possible job from them
     you can afford (they will have it done in a day vs the 2 weeks it took
     me).  I have been told that the Polyurethane is about $350. If they
     screw up a panel they will redo it at your insistance.

     You don't need to buy a compressor ($350) or a paint gun ($50 -cheap
     one) and a respirator ( $30).

     Good luck

     Marty Schlining
     57 MGA Coupe