MG loyalty

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: MG loyalty
From: tallen <tallen@csc.sctboces.org>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 1996 23:27:44 -0400 (EDT)
I don't post anything very often and when I do I usually post to the
British car list also, but this time I just wanted the opinion of you MG
folks.  For a long time I've wanted an MGA (since childhood?), and I've
posted a couple of times about my adventures looking for a car.  I'm
looking for a driver, not a show winner and I'm starting to get pretty
discouraged.  This week I looked at a '57 sitting in Roger Garnett's
front yard that I believe he is selling for a friend.  It's in good pretty
good shape and is in need of rockers, lower wings, an engine rebuild,
paint, and whatever a car needs that's been sitting in a barn for 8 years
needs.  All the cars I see advertised (Roger's being the only one that's
local) seem to be in the same shape (or worse) or else have recent frame
off restorations.  Roger has been very helpful and forward with me
(thank you, Roger), but the trouble is by the time I get this car
roadworthy I'll have like $10,000.00 in it.  Shoot, I've seen plenty of
cars for sale in that range that have been totally restored.  I just
can't spend that kind of money for a car to drive 2500 miles a year.  So
my dilemma is, where does my loyalty to the marque end?  I know of
several TR4's for sale for around $5000.00 that need nothing.  I also
know of TR4's sitting in a barn in as good shape as that MGA for $1500.00.
MGA people:  do you all have at least $10K in your cars?  Should I go to
the DMV and find every registered MGA and then watch the obits like they
do for housing in NYC?  If I buy a triumph do I have to get rid of my MG
hat and posters and clipart... and resign from this list? :(  I'd like to
hear any constructive comments (please don't suggest a B or a Midget,
been there, done that).

Thanks for listening,

Tom