Re: I warned you.......

To: Ross MacPherson <arm@unix.infoserve.net>
Subject: Re: I warned you.......
From: mgguyc100@ra.isisnet.com (Williams/MG Guy)
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 1996 22:55:23 -0300 (ADT)
Ross!

Greetings from the east coast of Canada!

Re: Your post:

>What I'd like to know is what the REAL distance between the edge of
>the overriders and the panel below the hatch is supposed to be.  Could any
>of you lovely people with an un-pranged rear end take this measurement and
>pass it along?

Just checked. The left over-rider measures 1 3/8" from the outside edge at
the top of the bumper - to the panel. The inside edge-to-panel measurement
is 1". Interestingly enough, the right overrider is 5/8" inside, 1 1/4"
outside...(thanks Ross! Something else to fiddle with ;-)!!!)

I see via the list that you (and I)have discovered the variations on GT
fenders. Very wise advice regarding the beading. It's spot welded to the
fender, not the scuttle. This is the problem with fiberglass fenders -
replicating that bead. I have seen many horrid attempts at fillng the seam
between the fender & scuttle - adn it just ain't so! It will inevitably
crack, as that's a flex point. Best when fender's removed, to finish the
scuttle edge, as well as in inner bead (along with the rest of the fender
'natch) - then attach to the car.

I noticed someone mentioned they'd never seen a rubber bumper GT. They're
extremely rare in Canada, as with US they only brought over roadsters from
about a month after the rubber bumper was introduced mid-'74. Anyone know
why? BTW, IMHO the rubber bumper GT is an extremely handsome car, especially
in dark colours which meld in the bumpers.

Hope this helps!

Terry
'70 BGT
'68 roadster