Appeal to Mr. Twist...

To: Wes Grady <wesgrady@csbh.mhv.net>
Subject: Appeal to Mr. Twist...
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 1996 16:53:35 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 25 Jun 1996, Wes Grady wrote:

(Regarding brake problem with MGA)

> >From what I gather, and I am not a mech-an-ick... don't step on the
service break when you yank on the e-brake.  I don't think I have ever not
done this, but that is what he says causes it.

I sure can't think why.  From what you relate, he thinks it has to do
with the master cylinder design.  There is a valve of some sort in the
brake side of the master cylinder.  I don't know what it does, and nobody
on the net has been able to explain it either.  I've searched manuals for
an explanation, to no avail.  My only guess has been that this slows down
fluid return to the mc, keeping a slight line pressure.

Why pulling on the emergency brake while applying the foot brake should
lock things up is a mystery to me; perhaps this little valve is
involved.  It would seem a serious design flaw.  Or maybe your mechanic is
mistaken.

Mr. Twist, are you listening?  Why would it be bad to pull the emergency
brake while applying the foot brake?

What does the little valve in the brake side of the master cylinder do?

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910