Re: Roof Ripping

To: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@blackknight.isocan.com>
Subject: Re: Roof Ripping
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1996 10:35:02 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 25 Jun 1996, Trevor Boicey wrote:

>   Ok, weak stomachs, turn your head.
>
>   I am looking at pulling the roof off of a 1971 MGB GT. The car is worn
> but salvageable and available for a decent price.
>
>   What structural strength does the roof on an MGB GT provide? Is the
> bottom of the car structurally changed on the convertible models to add
> support?
>
>   What would I be looking at to perform this brutal modification? What
> structural problems would I have, or modifications would be required so
> that the car did not fold in half?
>
>   The car is a very possible restoration, but for the work I'd be
> investing, having a convertible would be high on my list of wants.

Please, don't do this.  If you must have a convertible, buy one.  Don't
take an innocent GT and butcher it.  It does not even make economic
sense.  If you do it well, it will cost far more than a roadster.  If you
do it badly, it will be fit for nothing but the junk yard.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910