Gettin' into it this weekend...

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Gettin' into it this weekend...
From: "Jason F. Dutt" <simjason@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 17:01:14 -0400
Hello all,

Well, this weekend marks the beginning of a hopefully expeditious return to
the road.

Some may recall the "Too good to last..." message I sent recently.  I have
need of rebuilding the brake master cylander, bleeding the clutch, and
probably replacing the fuel pump.  Before I tear into this, I figured I'd
fill you all in on the symptoms, just to make sure I'm on the right track,
and perhaps gain some insight to the projects.

1)  Brakes - The were "gushy" when I got the car, meaning when the pedal was
depressed, the brakes would feel normal for an instant, then slowly sink
almost all the way to the floor.  At that point, I had to puch really hard
to halt the car.  I thought maybe the rear brakes were just adjusted poorly,
but no dice.  Now, the brakes go all the way to the floor, resulting in very
little braking action.  This has been a gradual deterioration, so I'm
guessing the main seal, or whatever the technical term is, has gone bad, and
fluid is seeping past it.

2)  Clutch - Another gradual failure.  At first, the clutch would just grab
VERY early upon release.  Then, it wouldn't release at all (for all intents
and purposes).  I topped up the fluid, and the situation improved.  However,
I occasionally have to pump the clutch to make it work properly.  I figure
it just needs bled...?

3)  Fuel pump - The following has happened twice, but I didn't know enough
the first time it happened to diagnose the problem, so I'll tell you about
the second insident.  Driving along, the engine cuts out.  No throttle
response, but all the electrics seem fine.  The car will not start now.
Turn on the key...no noise from the fuel pump.  Fiddle around a bit in the
trunk (by the way...what is the round, metal thing that seems to contain
fuel, mounted on the right side of the trunk?), and somehow God let the fuel
pump go for enough time to start the car.  Drove home.  Is this just a bad
fuel pump, or could it be something to do with the power supply to it?  By
the way...call me silly, but is the fuel pump in the tank, or mounted
someplace else?  Where?

Thanks to all who put up with MG newbies,

Jay

[       JASON DUTT       ]
[ simjason@ix.netcom.com ]
  \  1972 MGB Roadster /