Re: radiator bolts

To: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Subject: Re: radiator bolts
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 1996 09:48:28 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 27 Jun 1996, Ulix Goettsch wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Jun 1996 pharris@eos.vf.mmc.com wrote:
>
> > Hi again...I forgot in my last post. Anybody know what the size/type of bolt
> > that holds the top of the radiator in? there are two bolts on my '77 midget
> > (actually a lack of them at the moment). I've tried several standard/metric
> > sizes. It appears to be ~5/16 or M8.
>
> I have an earlier radiator (downflow) that is held in with 1/4-20's I
> think, but your's should definitely not be metric!
> If the thread is messed up, go and buy a tap and handle and chase the
> thread.
>
> Ulix

I would be very surprised if Ulix's 1/4-20s are stock, so please don't go
wild chasing threads with a 1/4-20 tap.  Most 1/4 inch fasteners on
Spridgets are 1/4-28.  The only coarse threads I am aware of on the cars
are a few threads in aluminum, for example the steering rack mounts.  I
suspect the radiator bolts are 5/16-24.  Both are standard UNF (SAE fine
thread) and should be readily available in hardware and auto parts stores.

Ray

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910