Re: King pins on '76 Midget

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: King pins on '76 Midget
From: "A.D.Smith" <as@boris.umds.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 1996 13:31:11 +0100 (BST)
>>>From: RJohn50603@aol.com

>>>Looking for some Net wisdom,
>>>
>>>My son and I are removing the kingpins from his '76 Midget.
>>>
>>>The lower fulcrum pin on the first side we're working on seems stuck. The
>>>screwdriver slot shaft isn't cooperating. I assume this is a right hand
>>>thread. My next plan is to get out the torch and heat it up a bit.
>>>
>>>Suggestions? First hand experience only, please.

Righto, first hand experience.  I did both my king pins, first one, three years
back, we approached with the naive assumption that we could unscrew the fulcrum
pins,
put new ones in, put new bushes in, reassemble, and drive away.  The pin
wouldn't come
out, we tried heating it, we tried hammering, we tried penetrating oil.  The
only
way to get it off was to saw the bolts holding the wishone to the body (they
wouldn't
come loose either), take the kingpin and wishbone off as one unit, and heat up
the
lower fulcrum pin with a welding torch until they came apart.  The whole thing
took
us about 3 days of swearing and sawing, and we had to replace the wishbone too.

Second time around, on the other side, a year back.
We learned from our previous experience, and just unbolted the wishbone from
the
body (bolts moved this time!), and took the kingpin and wishbone back to the
reconditioners still stuck together.  We fitted new ones, and away we went.
This
one we had finished the same day we started.

That bottom fulcrum pin is well known for being a b**ger to get out, try
heating it,
but don't be surprised if you have no success. And after all this abuse, you'll
most
likely find that the wishbone is in need of replacing too.

Sorry to bring bad news, but it may help to know that others have been there
and
had the same problems ?

ANdy

Andy Castellano Smith.          | email: a.d.smith@umds.ac.uk
Image Processing Group.         | http://www-ipg.umds.ac.uk/~as/
Cunliffe Labs, New Guy's House. | tel. : 0171 955 4208
Guy's Hospital, London SE1 9RT. | fax. : 0171 955 4913

       1977 Chrome Bumper Midget "Mungo" for short.
DPO of 1975 Rubber Bumper Midget "Mary"  for short.