SU Carb adjust help

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: SU Carb adjust help
From: bobd@dynacomm.fse.com (Bob Dallas)
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 1996 13:08:34 -0500
Okay, I tried to follow the directions carefully and even had my warm beer
to prove it, but I need help. These carbs are on a TD which hasn't been run
in 25 years. I have cleaned them up and put in the Moss rebuild kits and the
motor runs good but I think a lot rich.  I went about regulating the air
flow first and I think got them pretty even.  Then, I started the mixture
adjustment, un-screwing the nut one flat at a time(as instructed)--it seemed
to not run as well, so went to starting place and tightened one flat at a
time--the car seemed to run better--tightned more, car seemed to run
better---it continued to run better up to ten flats and I stopped because I
had only two flats to go--since I had started at them twelve flats or 1 1/2
turns from the stop.  The car continued to run rich---I would raise the
piston 1/16 of an inch and the motor would speed up and continue to run at
that speed.  I need your advice.

Does the tightning of the adjustment nut makes the carbs run leaner??? Could
it be that these carbs need more than a rebuild kit--maybe new needles?
Other Ideas?

Thanks in advance
Bob Dallas
Houston, Texas