Re: SU Carb adjust help

To: bobd@dynacomm.fse.com
Subject: Re: SU Carb adjust help
From: Bert.Otten@nni.nl
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 1996 14:30:27 +0100
Mon, 1 Jul 96 22:39:01 +0200, Bob Dallas wrote:

>I have cleaned them up and put in the Moss rebuild kits and the
>motor runs good but I think a lot rich.
>The car continued to run rich---I would raise the piston 1/16 of an
>inch and the motor would speed up and continue to run at that speed.
>I need your advice.

Bob,

I had the same problem when I rebuilt my SU HS4's. Accidentily i had
put the, new, needles too far upward into the carb piston. The needle
base should be flush with the carb piston bottom.

OTOH, it could be that you did it right, but you still experience the
carbs to be rich. Maybe a solution could be to lower the needles a
little bit, say 1/64", so that the mixture with the needle in 'idle'
position is leaner.

If this doesn't help i suggest to check if your needle/jet
combination is suited for your particular car.

Good luck,

Bert Otten
'67 B