Re: Split Fires ....

To: RHR211@aol.com
Subject: Re: Split Fires ....
From: Michael Chaffee <mchaffee@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 1996 10:32:51 -0500 (CDT)
On Sat, 29 Jun 1996 RHR211@aol.com wrote:

> At the risk of opening up a whole new can of worms, what does the list think
> of Split Fire spark plugs? Just wondering.

Snake oil.  If that little forked side electrode is going to provide an
extra spark path that you desperately need, why not pick up the Bosch
plugs with one center and three side electrodes?  That should be even
better, and they're cheaper too.  Or try the Nippondenso U-Groove plugs,
which work on sort of the same theory as the SplitFire, but mysteriously
only cost a buck a plug.  Have you wondered what makes the SplitFires
worth 4X as much as a quality regular plug?  That $3.00 per plug price
premium goes toward an enormous profit margin and a lot of advertising
costs.  I know only one person who got suckered into buying the things.
His verdict was that they did not work any better than Bosch Copper plugs
(my plug of choice, always on sale for $0.99 somewhere) but lasted about
1/3 as long.  If you want to buy expensive plugs, you'd be better served
by Bosch Silver plugs, which run about $6 per plug but last forever.
(Forever being, in this case, about 60-100,000 miles in a car with
electronic ignition.)

Sorry to rant, but SplitFire plugs belong on the infomercials
along with the miraculous combination oil additive, floor wax, and dessert
topping (featuring PTFE!).

Michael Chaffee
mchaffee@staff.uiuc.edu
[Note new address]

CCSO probably thinks I'm working right now.  What do you suppose they think
I'm saying?