To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: responses
From: Lewis Dove <ldove@macomb.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 1996 09:55:34 -0700
Hi gang,
I'll try to follow Mark's admonition and sort this stuff by topic:
Britcar Meet -
  Someone asked me for details about a meet I attend every year.
    Heartland British Autofest
    August 24-25, 1996
    Davenport, Iowa
  Sponsored by Quad City British Auto Club
  P.O. Box 107
  Silvis, IL 61282
 Autocross and tour on Saturday, show on Sunday; includes motorcycles as
well as cars.  When was the last time you saw an Ariel Square Four? A
Vincent Black Shadow? a Velocette? They were all there at one show or
another.  I don't belong to the club, and I don't know whether they have
an internet address.

Sport coils and Crane Ignition -
  I have the Allison/Crane setup on my 65 MGB, retaining the original
positive ground setup. I am using the Lucas 40K Sport coil and it has
performed well for 10,000 miles.

Overhauling master cylinders in place -
  I don't question that it can be done but why would you do it, except in
a roadside emergency? Unless you have Dot5 in the system, it will take
off the paint and be a general hassle to bleed.

Radios in MG's -
  Amen to the backing plate! It is RARE that I use the radio. The sounds
from the car beat anything I hear on the air. I even like tappet noises!
There was one exception. After I rewired the car, my wife and I took a
drive and we turned it on.  There in the moonlight on a country road we
had a 60's retromusic program. WOW!

Body Oil -
  I agree engine oil is bad news for the environment when applied to the
underside of cars.  The Brits use a product called waxoyl (spelling?).
What is it, does it work, and if so where can I get it in the US?

Some Things Don't Change -
  I am a retired prof., married 38 years to the same woman, and 61 years
old.  I have no fixations about car colors and neither does my wife, is
there a link somewhere?

OK, end of blather and return to position of avid lurker
                        Lew Dove
slave to Nigel Cudgel, resourceful '65 MGB tourer