Re: responses

To: Lewis Dove <ldove@macomb.com>
Subject: Re: responses
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 1996 13:33:26 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 3 Jul 1996, Lewis Dove wrote:

> Body Oil -
>   I agree engine oil is bad news for the environment when applied to the
> underside of cars.  The Brits use a product called waxoyl (spelling?).
> What is it, does it work, and if so where can I get it in the US?

I doubt many will want to apply engine oil to their cars, because it is
no fun to do and makes the cars messy.  However, it does not wash off the
bottom of the cars much at all.  The standard approach is to take the car
for a quick drive down a dusty road, to "fix" the oil.  It will wash off
if placed under your fenders, but most people who do this know this and
I suspect most don't even bother spraying under the fenders.  It's best
for enclosed cavities and inside doors and trunks.

Unless there is a big national movement towards spraying cars with oil, I
suspect the environmental impact is nil compared with oil leaks and the
oil that must wash off the surface of freshly asphalted roads.  And yes,
it does work well.

Waxoyl is available from Brittek (see the monster list), among other
places.  It, too, seems to work.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910