Re: Oil pressure

To: David Councill <dcouncil@cu.comp-unltd.com>
Subject: Re: Oil pressure
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 1996 10:12:53 -0700 (PDT)
On Fri, 5 Jul 1996, David Councill wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Jul 1996, Ulix Goettsch wrote:
>

> > Gregg, if your gauge shows 40 to 50 psi at idle with the motor HOT, you
> > are correct in not trusting your gauge. It should be about 10 to 20 psi :)
> > Ulix (12psi hot)
> >                      __/__,__         ________/____,,_______
> > ................... (_o____o_) ..... (___ O _________ O ___/ ..............
> >                     '67 Sprite             '66 Caddy
> >

> I would have to disagree with Ulix on this - at least on the oil pressure
> of 10-12. I would be alarmed with that kind of pressure. I prefer a
> minimum of 40 psi at idle with 60-70 psi running. (this experience has
> been with 3 different MGs).

Well, I put the little smiley there to indicate that I don't think it
_should_ be 10 to 20.  People get very concerned about their oil pressure
being low at idle.  I was too, but what am I going to do about it short
of a complete rebild?  I am not going to tear apart an engine that runs
very nicely just because of that little gauge.
I read somewhere once that racers go by the rule of thumb that you should
have 10 psi per 1000rpm - so if you rev your engine to 7000rpm, you should
have 70psi. So by that formula I'm OK  :)
I see 38 psi on the interstate. Like you say, these gauges are probably
not very well calibrated and probably used best for comparitive purposes.
Also I have an A-series engine, not a B-series.  Pressures might be vastly
different.

My buddy has a Spitfire 1500 and was very concerned about low idle
pressure and a thread got started on the T-list. It turned out that most
owners saw these same low figures and each of them was very concerned about
his/her readings. They have stopped worrying since they know they are not
alone.

Ulix
                    '67 Sprite             '66 Caddy