Re: Oil pressure

To: David Councill <dcouncil@cu.comp-unltd.com>
Subject: Re: Oil pressure
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 1996 15:48:32 -0700 (PDT)
On Fri, 5 Jul 1996, David Councill wrote:

> In another related matter concerning precision Smith gauges, I recall
> several people talking about their water temperatures. In the earlier
> MGs, these temperature gauges actaully read in degrees Fahrenheit, in ten
> degree increments.
>
> Naturally, you would be inclined to believe that those are real
> temperature readings. I know I did.
>
> But if you can run out of gas before empty on a fuel gauge, are you going
> to believe those numbers? Granted, I like those gauges better than the
> newer ones that ony have C,N, and H settings.

David,
you could easily calibrate it by holding the sender into boiling water
which has exactly 212 degrees F. If you don't want to take the gauge out,
you could heat some water with a camping burner or propane torch in the
garage.
I happened to have a kitchen thermometer around and was able to find the
points on my C-N-H face that correspond to 180, 190, etc. with this.
This is quite fun, actually...
Ulix
                    '67 Sprite             '66 Caddy