Re: Fool pumps

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fool pumps
From: David Councill <dcouncil@cu.comp-unltd.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 1996 15:25:08 -0600 (MDT)

On Fri, 5 Jul 1996, Bert Palte wrote:

> >Paul (Tiktiktik........bonk with hammer.........Tiktiktik) Kile
> >
> My MGB behaved like this for YEARS, until last Marchl!
> After a long winter standstill, I decided to test drive my B for the first
>time
> in 1996, since it was almost time for the annual state safety check.
>
> After only a few miles, the fuel pump refused to pump fuel.
> No amount of whacking could persuade the pump to function again.
> So, I traveled back with my B on a rope  behind my brother's Mitsubishi
>Pajero.
>
> Now a new SU fuel pump only costs a modest $ 60 or so from Britain and it
> was still
> far too cold to drive the B, so I ordered a new one and just waited
> for it to arrive.
> Replaced the pump and this, of course, cured the problem.

What's with these fuel pumps? It seems like there has been a lot of talk
of failing fule pumps the last few weeks.

Now I'm getting worried. I am still running the same SU pump that was on
my car when I bought it in 1983. And I'm sure it was old then. I replaced
the fuel sender unit then if that counts.

How hard is it to rebuild the pump? With all this talk, I'm tempted to
disassemble and rebuild my pump before it dies.

I should mention that my BGT is getting noticed today at work. The fact
that I parked it next to a blue Ferrari helps though. Coming  back from
lunch, I saw the Ferrari in the parking lot so it seemed appropriate to
take the spot closest to it.

David Councill
dcouncil@imt.net