MGB 1980 OVERDRIVE

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB 1980 OVERDRIVE
From: Robert J Ryll <rjryll@aztec.co.za>
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 1996 11:12:16 +0200
Hi there enthusiasts!

Can anyone help with what I believe is an overdrive switching problem on
a 1980 MGB Roadster. All of the sudden my overdrive does not kick in, no
other symptoms. I dismantled the switch on the gear shift knob and found
no current or voltage across the switch terminals (in any gear).Is there
a fuse that could be blown on the line (checked the main 4-way switch
box) or any way of easily checking the circuit. I presume one wire
supplies 12v power to the switch which goes to the overdrive solenoid,
then completing the ciruit by an earth to the unit. Could I bridge the
power line directly from the battery as a check?

Your input will be greatly appreciated!

Robert Ryll
rjryll@aztec.co.za
Cape Town