Re: MGB 1980 OVERDRIVE

To: rjryll@aztec.co.za, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB 1980 OVERDRIVE
From: Wyngaarden@aol.com
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 1996 11:01:11 -0400
Hey All,
     Here's some info on troubleshooting your LATE model MG's Overdrive.
Power comes thru the ignition switch then back to the switch on the gear
knob. A cursory check of all fuses for any electrical fuses is always a good
idea. In this case however if your car is running all fuses should be ok
because this same 12v goes to the fuel pump along the way. Now before it gets
to the gear knob switch it goes thru the limit switch to prove that the car
is in 4th gear. This is located on the right side top of the transmission and
the wiring can just be reached with skinny hands or tools. This wire has been
loose for me before. Also the whole limit switch could have to be replaced or
adjusted. This is a larger job and hopefully not necessary. Anyway hopefully
it's a loose wire of broken. The area that the wires are in is very prone to
break or have their connectors loosen.
Since you don't have your 12v I hope this is a start. I have had to go
further until I found a broken O-ring inside the oil channels of the unit
itself but stick to the electrical problems. Keep me informed.

                                                             Dave Wyngaarden
                                                             1958
MGA(rhd)(mine)
                                                             1964