Re: Spot welding vs MIG welding

To: Mark Jurras <jurrasm@genesis.torrco.com>
Subject: Re: Spot welding vs MIG welding
From: "S. L. Hower" <howersl@ttown.apci.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 09:54:26 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 10 Jul 1996, Mark Jurras wrote:

> I have seen a bit of discussion about spot vs MIG welded panels. I am
> no expert on weldong but, spot welds can be done with a MIG.

  Neither am I.  I took an autobody class at a local community
  college, to learn the basics.  The technique we were taught is
  exactally as you describe- with a slight twist.

  The drilled hole in the outer panel should be slightly larger-
  about 1/4 inch.  Through this hole, a small bump is welded to
  the back panel.  Then the hole is then welded shut around the
  perimiter.  Spacing should be about 3 to 4 inches between holes.

   >  Front     Rear
   >  Panel    Panel
   >       \  /
   >        \/
   > 1/4     |    Weld
   > Hole   @| <- Bump

  Welding this bump through a 1/4 inch hole takes a steady hand
  and some practice, but is not as hard as it sounds.  If I can
  do this, *anyone* can do it.  Weld on!

  --Scott

   Scott Hower  --> howersl@ttown.apci.com
   Air Products & Chemicals, Inc.