Spot welding vs MIG welding

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spot welding vs MIG welding
From: jurrasm@genesis.torrco.com (Mark Jurras)
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 07:30:59 -0400
I have seen a bit of discussion about spot vs MIG welded panels. I am
no expert on weldong but, spot welds can be done with a MIG. To do this
drill a small hole (~1/8" or so) in the front panel where it touches
the rear panel.

 Front    Rear
 Panel    Panel
      \  /
       \/
Hole >  |

Next weld the rear panel to the front panel inside the hole and fill the hole

 Front    Rear
 Panel    Panel
      \  /
       \/
Weld > @|

grind the weld flat and you have what looks and acts like a spot weld.

Any MIG experts out there that can describe this better than I did?

Also a trick to filling holes in sheet metal is to place a piece of copper
behind the hole as you fill it in. The steel won't stick to the copper
so you have something temporary as a backing. Just be sure to do a small amount
at a time so you don't heat the panel and warp it!

- -Mark