Re: "Crack of Doom" on MGB doors

To: "Sean Johnson" <sean_johnson@milacron.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: "Crack of Doom" on MGB doors
From: jtilton@vt.edu (Jay Tilton)
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 15:04:39 +0600
Sean Johnson wrote:
>Are the cracks caused by door misalignment, or a design flaw?

Some of each.

I did some careful observation once when I was realigning a door striker
plate. One thing I noticed was the vent window frame is meeting the rubber
gasket on the side of the windshield long before the door get closed.
Basically this causes a great deal of flex in the at the point where the
vent frame disappears into the door--the exact place where the crack
appears.

Rather than blame faulty door alignment or body sag, I'm inclined to
believe it's caused by:
a) faulty realignment of the windshield or vent window when, or
b) a gasket that has long since lost its flexibility, and has turned
rock-hard.

Have also heard people blame it on a tendency to pull the door closed by
the vent frame.  I can see that--same basic thing that I mentioned above,
except the door would be flexing in the opposite direction.

Just my $2.0E-2
--
Jay Tilton  |  jtilton@vt.edu