[MG] A list plea(se)...

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: [MG] A list plea(se)...
From: flanagin@chaph.usc.edu (Andrew Flanagin)
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 09:51:36 -0700 (PDT)
I am a relatively new member to this list (a few months) and find it very
valuable -- it's an ideal tool for someone like me, a novice mechanic who
wants to learn but lacks experience.  This list provides great insight and
allows me to benefit from the experience of all who are on it.  Besides
that, I simply like the friendly and helpful tone of all who participate.

I have a plea, however, that I'll frame in terms of an example.  I made the
mistake of not checking my email for several days (gasp) and was rewarded
for my negligence today with 348 messages.  Hours later, after finally
locating the top of my inbox and addressing pressing matters and filing less
pressing ones away, I was able to get on with other things (mainly phone
messages and the US mail that was waiting as well...).

It occurred to me, as I was trying to wade through the messages to determine
which of them required my attention days ago, that it would be extremely
helpful if I could identify which of them were a result of this list (and,
therefore, probably required little of me for the time being) in a simple
and quick way.  Since I get lots of mail from people whose names I don't
necessarily recognize, and I belong to several lists (including another car
list), the name identifier (and often the subject) is no help.  Having to
open each message to determine its content/subject/potential reply is
difficult with so many messages.

A few examples of my confusion: subject: "shocks" (Land Rover list?  CA
environmental list talking about earthquakes?); subject: "floor replacement"
(handyman list?); subject: "Midget 1500 dead this morning" (1500 midgets? -
curiousity got me, had to look); subject: "Red Line's Water Wetter" (huh?);
subject: "Life sucks, have to sell the toys" (message to myself?)...

I would like to suggest one means by which to clear up this kind of
confusion (that I included on this message) -- a simple "[MG]" at the front
of all subject lines would allow me (and all of you) to identify quickly and
easily which messages are sent in regard to this list (and which are not).

Anyway, I hope that enough of you think that this suggestion is worthwhile
and start to use it.  I think we could all benefit.

Thanks for the time and for all of the informative and helpful tips.