Re: Vicky's Starting problem - click click click

To: mgs@autox.team.net (Receipt Notification Requested) (Non Receipt Notification Requested)
Subject: Re: Vicky's Starting problem - click click click
From: Phillips Kevin <Kevin.Phillips@TIDV.dti.gov.uk>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 1996 10:39:00 +0100
From: "Vicky Groody" <merles_mum@msn.com>
Subject: RE: Starting problem..Click click click
Snip ->
We have even jump started  ... thank you all again...
Problem... Busby still refuses to budge!
He clicks when the ignition is turned, and it sounds as though it's comming
from an area on the left of the engine, which my husband Steve thinks might be
the starter motor/solenoid???.
--->
Hi,

Just picked your mail up from the MGs digest so not sure of the preceeding
advice or if you have solved this yet - however I have just gone through the
exact same problem on my '74 B so I hope that the solution to my problem gives
you some help (or is that hope !).

The problem was one of no starter turnover when you turn the key but a click
click click from under the bonnet.....

I bought a new starter, was about to spend a further 25UKP on a starter relay
when I found the problem - a cracked clamp on one of the battery terminals !!

So the problem seemed to be insufficient juice from the battery to the starter
when under load !

The connection was good enough to switch on the lights and the red ignition
light came on when the key was turned but when under heavy load the connection
could not deliver the power (I assume current) required.

Solution - purchased a new clamp for 1.5UKP and problem solved !!

So this would point to a grounding problem or battery connection problem - It
is
at least a cheap and easy one to check.....

One way of seeing if this is the problem is to hitch up a jump start direct to
the starter motor and not to the battery connectors - simply put one of the
jump
lead clips (the hot 'positive' one for negative ground cars) onto the bottom
bolt on the back of the starter motor (the one that the power leads are bolted
to) and the other cable to a suitable (local) ground near the starter....
This
takes your batteries and their connectors out of the loop and if it starts
indicates a connection problem in the battery to ground, battery to starter or
battery to battery connections.

Hope this helps...

Kevin..    '74 MGB