CLUTCH HYDRAULICS

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: CLUTCH HYDRAULICS
From: Ceicia@aol.com
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 1996 22:03:26 -0400
I finally got my '71 MGB roadster back on the road, even autocrossed it for
the first time last Sunday, and the clutch hydraulics started acting up on
Tuesday.  I was driving through town when I noticed that the clutch pedal
felt strange and was engaging and disengaging the clutch close to the floor,
rather than close to the top of its travel as it usually did.

Thinking I had air in the system, I bled the crap out it, running through
about a quart of new brake fluid.  The fluid I got out of the system was a
dark green.  Anyway, figuring I had fixed the problem, I went on a test
drive.  No probems - clutch pedal pretty much high and solid.  Later on, I
went on another drive.  This time, after backing out of my driveway, I
depressed the clutch pedal to the floor to shift into first, and the clutch
wouldn't disengage.  I pumped the pedal, and then it worked OK.  At this
point I put the car in the garage.

Questions:

1.  Has anybody else had this experience with a hit and miss problem with
clutch hydraulics?  by the way, I don't see any leaks either near the master
cylinder or around the slave.

2.  Do I need to replace both the clutch master and slave cylinders?  Can I
just put a kit in them to save money?

                                                              Help,

                                                              George