CLUTCH HYDRAULICS

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: CLUTCH HYDRAULICS
From: Ceicia@aol.com
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 1996 22:26:50 -0400
First, I want to thank all of the people that responded to my queries
regarding the problem with the clutch hydraulics on my '71 MGB roadster.  I
got more than 15 responses and I considered all of the info received.

What I ended up doing is replacing the clutch master cylinder and
refurbishing the slave cylinder in place.

Regarding the master cylinder - wow, what a bear.  I had to drill out one of
the Phillips head screws just to remove the MC box cover.  Then, using a
combination of a mirror, a stubby ratchet with a 1/2" socket, and the access
hole in the side of the box containing the master cylinders, I was able to
remove the bottom bolt on the MC.  Using the access hole in the firewall
covered by the big rectangular rubber plug, I was able to undo the banjo bolt
holding on the clutch line.  I did make the mistake trying to loosen the
compression fitting first instead of the banjo bolt - big waste of time.

Anyway, once the MC was out, I realized that all of the years of being soaked
with brake fluid had made for a large area of surface rust on the sheet metal
underneath.  Since I never wanted to do the clutch MC again, but didn't want
to break loose the fittings on the brake MC, I unbolted the whole surrounding
box, lifted it about 3/4", cleaned up the area with a brass brush and lacquer
thinner, and painted on some Correless from the Eastwood Co. (I hope the
stuff is as good as advertised at stopping rust).  I then made a pan to fit
under both MCs out of aluminum foil to catch any future drips of brake fluid.
 Putting everything back together was the reverse pain from getting it apart.

I rebuilt the slave under the car.  I unbolted the unit from the tranny, but
left the hose attached.  I was able to clean the slave out real good using a
spray bottle of alcohol.

Bled the system and it works great.  Started the job Friday night, finsished
after working all day Saturday.  Shakedown cruise Saturday evening.
 Autocrossed the car successfully today (Sunday).

NOTE: "Successfully" means nothing fell off the car and I made it home under
my own power.

                                                             Again, thanks
for all of your advice.

                                                             George