MGB wiring

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB wiring
From: wise@db.erau.edu (John A. Wise)
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 08:14:32 -0800
My son just smoked (literally) a significant part of the wiring on his (new
to him) 80 MGB.  He thinks a wire grounded out due to the rubbing off of
insulation.  I fried a part of a Midget's ignition wires many years ago due
to a short.

My question is -  has anyone updated the MG's wiring system with fuses so
that one does no need to replace a wiring harness when on has an occasional
short?  If so, where does one find the info.

By the way, I took the wiring diagram from my workshop manual to a
dupliaction shop and had them enlarge it to 18" wide and then to 36" wide.
The 18" is probably sufficient - but boy it is nice to really be able to
trace lines without puting my 50 year old eyes to the test!!

In the same vein, my Porsche's workshop manual has its wiring done one line
at a time.  That is, the hot sorce is always shown at the top of the page
and the ground at the bottom and then each indivual component on a line is
shown in between.  While this requires many pages, it is really easy to
trace lines on a component by component basis.  Has any one ever seen a
similar system for MGs?

John

John A. Wise, Ph.D., CHFP                       Tel: (+1) (904) 226-6384
Center for Aviation/Aerospace Research          Fax: (+1) (904) 226-7050
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University            E-mail: wise@db.erau.edu
600 South Clyde Morris Blvd.
Daytona Beach, FL 32114-3900      USA