RE: DCOE Carbs

To: "J. Michael Roach" <mroach@sockets.net>
Subject: RE: DCOE Carbs
From: Bill Lattimer <m22@skypoint.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 11:16:23 -0500 (CDT)
> if your Midget is stock, then a DCOE is WAY TOO much carb
> for the engine. You'll have no power below 3000 rpm, it will
> probably only do about 19MPG and will genrally give awfull
> performance.

I don't know that I completely agree with this, since no sizes are
mentioned.  With a 40 DCOE and the proper size chokes, a sidedraft can be
a very streetable, responsive carb from off-idle to the top end - albeit
with ~20% loss in gas milage.  I have a 45 DCOE on a TWM manifold with
36MM chokes, and this works very, VERY well - it is MUCH more responsive
than the stock SUs.  Many of the bad experiences with Webers on the
street are due to improper tuning; IMHO, setup with a rolling road dyno
is required to make this work.

Agreed that the downdraft is probably a better choice, tho.