Console in your '68 MGB - Could be original!

To: bc@rosenet.net
Subject: Console in your '68 MGB - Could be original!
From: mgguyc100@ra.isisnet.com (Williams/MG Guy)
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 20:54:27 -0300 (ADT)
>I have a 1968 MGB but a console from another year. It has a ashtray directly
>behind the gear shift. It has a glove box about 4.5 inches wide and 12" long.
>I am not sure if it is from an MGB but probably is. Can anyone give me an clue
>which year this might have orginated in?
>thanks in advance
>
>elaine

Hello Elaine!

Your console *could* be an original accessory piece. Does it have a 'hood'
just ahead of the shifter with a flat portion that could hold three gauges
'bout the size of your gas gauge? From the peak of the 'hood', does it slope
back to the floor/tunnel at about a 45 degree angle, meeting the
perpendicular center piece that would house your radio, cigarette lighter,
hazard switch, and map light? And, behind the glovebox, is there a chrome
grille that would cover a radio speaker?

Whew. Well, if so - then it's original - and relatively rare. I searched for
15 years to find one for GT, and just recently found another for my '68
roadster! These were manufactured by AMCO, I believe, and were only
installed in North American cars. I have a factory brochure dated 10/69
(same month/year as my GT!) and it shows this console as an available
accessory. My research tells me they were used from late '68 through to the
end of the '71 model run, as the '72 arrived with the factory designed unit.

Hope this helps! (BTW, if it IS one of these consoles, and you don't want it
- please - let me know!)

Cheers from Canada's Atlantic coast,

Terry Williams
'70 BGT