Re: Mystery Black Box

To: khedges@awinc.com
Subject: Re: Mystery Black Box
From: Ragthyme@aol.com
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 12:05:31 -0400
Ken:

 I've got a 75B ... and I don't have one of these that I know of.

What colour are the wires leading to the box? That might help in running this
item down.

Behind the radio console on my B, all I have are the wires for the map lamp
(above the radio but below the face-level vents) and the wiring for the cigar
lighter, hazard lamp switch and the antenna lead for the radio. Oh, and the
original radio plug itself, I suppose.

On GT's, there should be some sort of wiring back there for a heated rear
window. There's also (depending upon when in 75 your car was made .... 75 was
a transitional year and you very nearly have to check the RD number to find
out exactly which components you should have) there may be an EGR warning
light & wiring, and possibly a sequential seat belt buzzer and light array.
 If the box has a small speaker grille on it, that last may be what you're
looking at. The buzzer is supposed to come on when you first put the key in
the ignition, to remind you to wear your safety belt. There was a warning
lamp on the centre console that went along with it, as well, that sits where
the GT's heated rear window warning lamp does (in between the hazard lamp
switch and the optional switch for the fog/driving lamps)

Lastly, it may be some sort of leftover crossover amplifier for a radio
system; they sort of look like that.

Corey
75 MGB 'Rags'
...still in pieces